MILPER Number: 17-206
Department Of Defense Approved Changes to Campaign, Expeditionary, and Service Medals
B. Army Regulation 600-8-22 (Military Awards), 25 Jun 15.
C. Memorandum, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Manpower and Reserve Affairs), 11 May 17, subject: Approval to Award Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary and Service Medals for Operation ODYSSEY LIGHTNING.
D. Memorandum, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel and Readiness), 11 May 17, subject: Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal Eligibility Criteria.
E. Memorandum, Office of the Secretary of Defense, 30 Mar 16, subject: Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal.
1. This message will expire on 10 JUL 18.
2. The purpose of this message is to announce recent Department of Defense changes effecting the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal (GWOTEM), the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal (GWOTSM), and the Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal (IRCM).
3. The Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Manpower and Reserve Affairs) has announced the award of the GWOTEM and the GWOTSM for Operation ODYSSEY LIGHTNING (OOL). The GWOTEM and GWOTSM are approved for the period of 1 Aug 16 through 19 Dec 16.
a. The associated GWOTEM Area Of Eligibility (AOE) for OOL is: Algeria, Chad, Egypt, France, Greece, Italy, Libya, Niger, Spain, Tunisia, and the Mediterranean Sea from the Straits of Gibraltar to 25 East Longitude. In accordance with reference B, paragraph 2-18b(2), all foreign land, water, and airspaces in the designated AOE are included.
b. The seven approved GWOTEM operations are as follows:
|Enduring Freedom (OEF)||11 Sep 01 – To Be Determined (TBD)|
|Iraqi Freedom (OIF)||19 Mar 03 – 31 Aug 10|
|Nomad Shadow (ONS)||5 Nov 07 – TBD|
|New Dawn (OND)||1 Sep 10 – 31 Dec 11|
|Inherent Resolve (OIR)||15 Jun 14 – TBD|
|Freedom’s Sentinel (OFS)||1 Jan 15 – TBD|
|Odyssey Lightning (OOL)||1 Aug 16 – 19 Dec 16|
|A complete list of approved AOE for GWOTEM Operations is available at: http://www.people.mil/Inside-M-RA/Military-Personnel-Policy/How-we-support/OEPM|
c. The eight approved GWOTSM operations are as follows:
|OEF||11 Sep 01 – TBD|
|Operation Noble Eagle (ONE)||11 Sep 01 – TBD|
|Airport Security Operations||27 Sep 01 – 31 May 02|
|OIF||19 Mar 03 – 31 Aug 10|
|OND||1 Sep 10 – 31 Dec 11|
|OIR||15 Jun 14 – TBD|
|OFS||1 Jan 15 – TBD|
|OOL||1 Aug 16 – 19 Dec 16|
|A complete list of approved GWOTSM Operations is available at: http://www.people.mil/Inside-M-RA/Military-Personnel-Policy/How-we-support/OEPM|
d. The GWOTEM is authorized for Soldiers who deploy in support of an approved operation in the designated AOE. There is no associated deployment requirement in order to qualify for the award of the GWOTSM. Soldiers must meet the criteria for the award of the GWOTEM in reference B, paragraph 2-18 and the criteria for award of the GWOTSM in reference B, paragraph 2-19, before being awarded either medal. Soldiers may be awarded both the GWOTEM and GWOTSM if they meet the criteria for both awards; however, the qualifying period used to establish eligibility for one award cannot justify eligibility for the other award.
4. The Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel and Readiness) has announced changes to the eligibility criteria for the IRCM. Effective 11 May 17, eligibility criteria for the IRCM is revised as follows:
a. The IRCM will be awarded to each Soldier who, during the period of award, was permanently assigned or attached for 30 days (consecutive or non-consecutive) to a unit operating in the IRCM AOE, or who meets one of the following criteria regardless of time spent in the AOE:
(1) Was engaged in combat during an armed engagement.
(2) Was killed, wounded, injured, or medically evacuated from the AOE while participating in an operation or on official duties.
b. This revised eligibility criteria is effective 11 May 17 and retroactive to 15 Jun 14, the effective date of the IRCM.
c. The qualifying period used to establish eligibility for the IRCM must stand alone and cannot be used to justify eligibility for the GWOTEM. In all cases, verifying authorities need to ensure that any potential disconnects or duplicate qualifying periods are resolved before authorizing the IRCM, GWOTEM, and/or revoking previously issued GWOTEM awards when awarding a retroactive IRCM.
d. Soldiers requesting retroactive award of the IRCM under the new criteria need to present appropriate supporting documentation to their supporting S-1 or Military Personnel Division.
5. These changes will be incorporated into the next revision of reference B.
6. For clarification or questions regarding this action, contact the Awards and Decorations Branch, AHRC-PDP-A, 502-613-9126, 983-9126 (DSN), or by
e-mail at email@example.com.