MILPER Number: 17-193
Transcript Requirements for Updating Army Personnel Records
B. DA PAM 600-8-104 (Army Military Human Resource Record Management), 12 Feb 15.
C. AR 600-8-19 (Enlisted Promotions and Reductions), 25 Apr 17.
D. AR 621-5 (Army Continuing Education System), 11 Jul 06 (RAR – 19 Oct 09).
E. Electronic Military Personnel Office (eMILPO) Field Users Guide, https://emilpo.ahrs.army.mil.
1. This message will expire one year from date of publication.
2. This message applies to all Components.
3. This message clarifies and standardizes the requirements for transcripts used to update Army personnel records, to include the Army Military Human Resource Record (AMHRR), the Record Brief, and updating promotion points.
4. A qualifying transcript used to update Army personnel records is defined as:
a. Transcript from any accredited educational institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation) or by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (www.chea.org).
b. Transcript must bear the following information:
(1) Educational institution seal, watermark or letterhead.
(2) If conferring a degree, type of degree (e.g., associates, bachelors, masters) and date the degree was awarded.
(3) Educational institution official’s stamp or signature.
c. The transcript is not required to be in a sealed envelope from the institution.
d. Soldiers with transcripts from foreign colleges or universities must have their documents evaluated for United States (U.S.) equivalency. Evaluations must be accompanied by copies of source documents used to determine U.S. equivalency. Evaluations of foreign transcripts will be accepted from any degree granting institution accredited by any accrediting organization recognized by the U.S Department of Education or any member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Unevaluated transcripts will not be used to update the record or filed in the AMHRR. As an exception, the following countries, territories, and nations are exempt from the evaluation requirement, and their education documents will be treated in the same manner as those from any U.S. school:
(1) Federated States of Micronesia
(2) Republic of the Marshall Islands
(3) Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
(5) American Samoa
(7) Puerto Rico
(8) Virgin Islands
e. Honorary degrees are not authorized for updating education in personnel records.
f. Transcripts are acceptable if they meet the above criteria. Transcripts labeled as “advising” are not authorized.
g. Questionable educational institutions or transcripts will be submitted for verification to the Army Continuing Education Division (ACED) at email@example.com.
5. Human Resource (HR) professionals serve as trusted agents and are responsible for ensuring transcripts meet these requirements prior to updating personnel records. Soldiers or HR professionals using fraudulent transcripts to update personnel records will be subject to disciplinary action.
6. Transcripts used to update education on the Record Brief must be uploaded to the interactive Personnel Electronic Records Management System (iPERMS) for filing in the AMHRR as the source document for the transaction. Diplomas are no longer authorized for filing in the AMHRR; only transcripts will be filed.
7. HR activities in accessioning organizations (i.e., Reserve Officer Training Corps, U.S. Military Academy, U.S. Army Recruiting Command, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Chaplain and Judge Advocate General accession offices) will integrate the necessary procedures in their accession business processes to comply with the requirements of this message. Actions will be complete before the Soldier is accessed into the Army.
8. Points of contact for this message are:
a. Army Personnel Records Division (KNOX-HRC-PDR), Fort Knox, KY 40122-5402, firstname.lastname@example.org or COMM 502-613-8999, DSN 983-8999, Active and Reserve Components.
b. Army Continuing Education Division (KNOX-HRC-PDE), Fort Knox, KY 40122-5402, email@example.com or COMM 502-613-8888, DSN 983-8888.
c. Enlisted Promotions, (KNOX-HRC-PDV-PE), Fort Knox, KY 40122-5402, Regular Army: firstname.lastname@example.org or USAR: email@example.com or COMM 502-613-9013, DSN 983-9013.
d. For Army National Guard inquiries, contact the State Officer Personnel Manager (OPM) or the State Education Services Officer.