MILPER Number: 17-171
FY17 US Army Reserve Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) Sergeant First Class (SFC) through Sergeant Major (SGM) Selection Board Announcement Message
B. AR 135-91, Service Obligations, Methods of Fulfillment, Participation Requirements, and Enforcement Procedures, 1 Feb 05.
C. AR 140-111, U.S. Army Reserve Reenlistment Program, 9 May 07 (RAR 6 Sep 11).
D. AR 600-8-2, Suspension of Favorable Personnel Actions (flags), 11 May 16.
E. AR 600-8-19, Enlisted Promotions and Reductions, 25 Apr 17.
F. AR 600-8-104, Army Military Human Resource Records Management, 7 Apr 14.
G. AR 614-200, Enlisted Assignments and Utilization Management, 26 Feb 09 (RAR 002, 11 Oct 11).
H. AR 623-3, Evaluation Reporting System, 4 Nov 15.
I. AR 640-30, Photographs for Military Human Resource Records, 29 Mar 17.
J. Department of the Army Personnel Policy Guidance for Contingency Operations in Support of GWOT.
K. MILPER Message Number 13-106, Enlisted Promotion Clarification for Soldiers in the Disability Evaluation System.
1. This MILPER message will expire NLT 2 Jun 18. Suspense dates for this board are as follows:
|NCOER||NLT 1700 EDT 4 Aug 17|
|Letter to the President of the Board||NLT 1700 EST/EDT 3 Aug 17|
|AMHRR Updates||NLT 1700 EST/EDT 4 Aug 17|
|Photo accepted in DAPMIS||7 Aug 17|
|My Board File (MBF) availability timeline||15 Jun – 7 Aug 17|
2. Policy. Close attention must be given to specific eligibility criteria and other requirements contained in this message.
a. This message contains instructions regarding the selection of IMA noncommissioned officers (NCOs) for promotion to Sergeant First Class (SFC) through Sergeant Major (SGM). In accordance with (IAW) AR 600-8-19, a DA selection board is scheduled to convene at the DA Secretariat (DAS), Fort Knox, Kentucky on or about 14 Aug 2017 to consider US Army Reserve mobilized and nonmobilized IMA Soldiers for promotion to the ranks of SFC through SGM.
b. Eligible NCOs may be promoted in their PMOS, SMOS, or AMOS based on needs of the Army. The promotable MOS will be awarded as the PMOS upon assignment to an IMA position and effective the date of promotion.
c. Personal appearance before the selection board is prohibited.
d. Soldiers erroneously included in the zones of consideration, if selected, will be administratively removed from the list.
3. Soldiers must meet the eligibility criteria as follows:
a. Promotion to SFC: Staff Sergeants (SSG) must have a DOR of 15 Aug 14 or earlier, a PEBD of 15 Sep 2011 or earlier, a Date of Birth (DOB) of 15 Aug 60 or later, and completed Structured Self Development (SSD) level 3.
b. Promotion to MSG: SFC must have a DOR of 15 Aug 14 or earlier, a PEBD of 15 Aug 05 or earlier, a DOB of 15 Aug 60 or later, and have completed SSD level 4.
c. Promotion to SGM: MSG must have a DOR of 15 Aug 14 or earlier, a PEBD of 15 Aug 00 or earlier, a DOB of 15 Aug 60 or later, and have completed SSD level 4.
d. All NCOs must be assigned to an IMA duty position.
e. All NCOs must have a confirmed home or mailing address.
f. All NCOs must be a satisfactory participant IAW AR 135-91. NCOs must have earned a minimum of 50 retirement points on the retirement year ending date in the immediately preceding 12 months prior to the convening date of the board IAW AR 600-8-19.
g. All NCOs must have at least a high school diploma or a general educational development (GED) equivalent.
h. NCOs must have a current physical examination per AR 40-501 not earlier than 15 Aug 16.
i. Soldiers are considered physically qualified for promotion if they meet the retention medical fitness standards per AR 40-501, chapters 3 or 5, as appropriate.
j. NCOs must be one grade below that in which being promoted.
k. NCOs must be a graduate of the NCOES course, or its equivalent, required for their current grade as required by ref E. NCOs who are disenrolled from the USASMC for any reason (other than compassionate or medical) are permanently ineligible for promotion consideration to SGM.
l. A Soldier must have the appropriate security clearance required for the military occupational specialty (MOS) in which they are being considered. An appropriate interim clearance is acceptable.
m. The following NCOs are ineligible for promotion consideration (SFC through SGM):
(1) Soldiers who have an approved retirement, regardless of the approval date or reason for submission. Soldiers will not regain eligibility for consideration by withdrawing their retirement application after the convening date of the board.
(2) Soldiers who have an approved bar to continued service.
(3) Soldiers who are ineligible to reenlist due to court-martial conviction, confinement, or AWOL.
(4) Soldiers without a high school diploma of GED equivalent.
(5) Soldiers who were previously selected for and then declined USASMA attendance.
(6) Soldiers previously disenrolled from the USASMA resident/non-resident course for failure to achieve course standards, denied enrollment, disciplinary infraction, or cause.
(7) Soldiers who have submitted a declination of consideration statement for this board.
4. All Human Resources Personnel Offices S1, MPDs, and HRC throughout the Army must report eligibility status changes on a continuous basis to Promotions Eligibility Branch: email@example.com.
5. Communications to the board: properly prepared and signed memorandums IAW AR 600-8-19, paragraph 4-5 may be scanned and emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Evaluation reports:
a. In order to be considered by the board, all mandatory or optional Non-Commissioned Officer Evaluation Reports (NCOER)/Academic Evaluation Reports (AER) must be received, error free, by the HRC Evaluations Branch NLT 4 Aug 17. To ensure reports are received at HRC by this date, commanders at all levels must ensure any applicable evaluation reports for eligible NCOs are expeditiously processed.
b. NCOERs will be prepared on the appropriate DA Form 2166-9 series NCOER form within the Evaluation Entry System (EES) and submitted to HRC via EES. If unable to access and submit evaluations within EES, hard copy DA Form 2166 series NCOERs can be prepared and mailed to: Commander, USA HRC, ATTN: AHRC-PDV-ER, 1600 Spearhead Division Ave, Dept. #470, Fort Knox KY 40122-5407. Access to EES is available at the following link: https://evaluations.hrc.army.mil. If unable to access EES, DA Form 2166-9 series NCOERs can be obtained from the Army Publishing Directorate’s webpage at the following link: http://www.apd.army.mil.
(1) Sending NCOERs by email is only for deployed units or deployed rating officials and should only be used for deployed units who created .PDF-F evaluations outside of EES. A standard operating procedure covering process for scanning and emailing NCOERs from deployed units is available upon request.
(2) All non-deployed units or rating officials with ink-signed or older version forms not useable in EES must mail printed NCOERs to Commander, USA HRC, ATTN: AHRC-PDV-ER, 1600 Spearhead Division Ave, Dept. #470, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5407.
c. Code 09, Complete-the-Record Report.
(1) A code 09, Complete-the-Record NCOER, is “optional” for NCOs who meet the FY17 IMA SFC – SGM Selection Board eligibility criteria.
(2) The required “Thru Date” for Complete-the-Record Reports (Code 09) is 6 May 17. All Complete-the-Record NCOERs for this board will be required to be prepared and submitted on the appropriate DA Form 2166-9 within EES or found on the Army Publishing Directorate’s webpage.
(3) Refer to AR 623-3, paragraph 3-56, to determine eligibility for submitting a Complete-the-Record report; all criteria must be met to receive this report.
(4) All other reports (mandatory or optional), excluding Complete-the-Record Reports (Code 09), will have “Thru Dates” that reflect the date of the event that is the reason for the report.
d. Reports which are received by HRC Evaluations Branch for processing by close of business on 4 Aug 17 will be placed in the NCO’s Army Military Human Resource Record (AMHRR) and their board File prior to board voting, assuming the evaluation is relatively free of errors. This suspense date is for receipt of evaluations by HRC Evaluations Branch, not for submission to AMHRR. If an evaluation is seen as working in the Evaluation Reporting System (ERS) with a received by date of 4 Aug 17 or earlier and the evaluation is free of errors, it will be completed in time for the selection board.
e. NCOs with missing NCOERs from their board File or AMHRR should first check the online application EES. This will identify any evaluations not completed (either on hold or rejected) due to errors. NCOs with questions about NCOER policy or procedural matters can contact an Evaluations Branch point of contact (POC) for resolution at either commercial (502) 613-9019, DSN 983-9019 or: email@example.com.
f. For resolution of duplicate, inverted, or misfiled evaluation reports, submit request to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
g. Hard copy AERs will be mailed to CDR, USA HRC, ATTN: AHRC-PDV-ER, 1600 Spearhead Division Ave, Dept. 470, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5407.
h. Career managers, board support personnel and iPERMS support personnel are not authorized to place any evaluations directly in the AMHRR. All evaluations must process through the Evaluations Branch using normal processing channels into the AMHRR and then the Soldier’s board file. NCOERs that are not processed by the Evaluations Branch will not be seen by this board.
7. Reviewing the My Board File (MBF): Approximately 60 days before the convene date of the board, eligible Soldiers will be able to review their MBF (15 Jun – 7 Aug 17).
8. Updating the AMHRR:
a. NCOs must review their AMHRR online before the ‘My Board File’ becomes available. NCOs can review their AMHRR at: https://iperms.hrc.army.mil/rms/. NCOs serviced by an S-1/UA/MPD/MIL HR office should process their AMHRR documents through that office.
b. S-1/UA/MPD/MIL HR offices will use the web upload feature in IPERMS to submit required AMHRR document updates, IAW AR 600-8-104. To access the authorized documents list, use the following link: https://www.hrc.army.mil/Default.aspx?ID=14900. All documents must include the full name and complete 9 digit SSN.
c. All AMHRR update submissions must be received NLT 4 Aug 17 to allow for sufficient processing time. Ensure S-1/UA/MPD/Mil HR offices type the word “Board” in the container field of the batch for priority processing. Write down the batch number for future reference. All updates to the Performance folder of the AMHRR will populate your ‘My Board File’ application but there is typically a delay involved.
d. Do not submit NCOERs or AERs (DA Form 1059) to iPERMS. They must go to the Evaluations Branch for processing. Follow the procedures in paragraph 6 of this message for all evaluation related documents and issues.
e. For resolution of duplicate, inverted, misfiled or masking documents, submit your request to: email@example.com. Correctly filed authorized documents will not be masked or removed.
f. For additional information on updating board documents in iPERMS refer to the following link: https://www.hrc.army.mil/tagd/updating%20board%20documents or on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/iPERMS.
9. Official photographs.
a. This board will review the official photograph in digital format stored in Department of the Army Photograph Management Information System (DAPMIS). In view of the emphasis on official photographs, NCO’s are encouraged to review their official photograph IAW the guidelines in AR 640-30. If needed, go to: http://www.vios.army.mil. To find your nearest DAPMIS photographic facility location. If unable to see your DA photo in DAPMIS within three duty days after the photo was taken, contact the installation photographic facility for assistance. Photographs must be received NLT 7 Aug 17 to allow for sufficient processing time.
b. The minimum official photograph frequency for NCOs is every five years. However, a major change in physical and/or uniform appearance, such as a change in weight (gain or loss), awards (Army Commendation Medal and above), and/or rank, require an official photograph update.
c. NCOs assigned to an area (including hostile fire areas) where photographic facilities are not available or conditions prevent them from being photographed, are temporarily exempt from submitting new photographs IAW the five-year requirement. These NCOs will be photographed within 90 days from reassignment to an area where photographic facilities are available. Additionally, female NCOs who are due for a required update during pregnancy are exempt from the requirement until six months after pregnancy. Any photograph that is older than five (5) years will be deleted per AR 640-30.
d. Only the Army Service Uniform is authorized, IAW AR 640-30. Hardcopy photographs are no longer accepted for filing.
10. Points of Contact:
a. Board Support (My Board File): firstname.lastname@example.org.
b. Board Eligibility: email@example.com 502-613-9015 (DSN 983).
c. NCOER submission/policy: firstname.lastname@example.org or 502- 613-9019 (DSN 983).
d. AMHRR/ IPERMS Inquiries: email@example.com (502) 613-9990 (DSN 983). Do not send AMHRR documents to this email. See paragraph 8 above. For additional information, refer to: https://www.hrc.army.mil/tagd/updating%20board%20documents or on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/iPERMS.
e. NCOES: firstname.lastname@example.org (502) 613-5916 (DSN 983).
f. Enlisted IRR/IMA Career Managers: email@example.com (502)613-5566.