Professor, USMA and Academy Professor Assignment Opportunities at the United States Military Academy (USMA)
A. AR 210-26, (United States Military Academy), 9 December 2009, (RAR, 6 September 2011).
B. AR 614-100, (Officer Assignment Policies, Details, and Transfers), 10 January 2006.
C. DA Pam 600-3, (Commissioned Officer Professional Development and Career Management), 3 December 2014.
D. AR 350-100, (Officer Active Duty Service Obligations), 8 August 2007, (RAR, 10 August 2009).
E. AR 621-1, (Training Military Personnel at Civilian Institutions), 28 August 2007.
1. This MILPER message will expire 10 April 2018.
2. The purpose of this message is to announce assignment opportunities for officers at the United States Military Academy (USMA) at West Point, NY.
3. USMA will accept applications from officers who meet minimum qualifications to fill the following FA47 positions.
a. Professor, USMA and Deputy Head, English and Philosophy.
b. Academy Professor, Chemistry and Life Science.
a. Professors, USMA are the senior military and academic leaders at USMA. They directly supervise Academy Professors and other senior military and civilian faculty. Title 10, USC, governs the selection and establishment of Professors, USMA. The Professors, USMA provide long-term stability to the education programs at USMA to ensure accreditation standards and continuity are maintained. Service in FA47 requires extensive experience and sustained exemplary manner of performance; an outstanding record of academic achievement including a doctoral degree in their designated academic discipline; potential for further growth and development within the field of scholarship; exceptional teaching ability, and successful completion of intermediate level education (ILE).
b. Academy Professors serve as military and academic leaders within their respective departments. Academy Professors are a critical link between the senior academic leaders and the remainder of faculty and staff. Service in FA47 requires extensive experience and sustained exemplary manner of performance; an outstanding record of academic achievement including a doctoral degree in their designated academic discipline; potential for further growth and development within the field of scholarship; exceptional teaching ability, and successful completion of Intermediate Level Education (ILE).
5. Selection Process: The United States Military Academy selection committee will convene on or about 10 April 2017 to review candidate applications for recommendation to HQDA.
6. Selection Criteria:
a. Applicants must be in the grade of O-4 or above.
b. FA47 officers are required to have a Doctorate (Ph.D.), or have a master’s degree and be able to obtain a Ph.D. within two to three (3) years of selection. An officer must be able to fulfill their active duty service obligation (ADSO) prior to their mandatory removal date (MRD) as per AR 350-100 (Active Duty Service Obligations), and AR 621-1 (Training of Military Personnel at Civilian Institutions).
c. Successful completion of field grade key developmental experience in basic branch assignments or functional area is required.
d. FA47 officers are required to have outstanding records of military performance and solid academic credentials. In addition, they must show evidence of, or demonstrated potential for:
(1) Superior teaching ability at the college level.
(2) Active engagement, participation, and growth in an academic discipline.
(3) Contributions to the professional development of junior faculty.
(4) Contributions to the growth and development of cadets outside formal academic courses.
(5) Service to the military academy, government agencies, and/or the academic discipline through participation in professional organizations and societies.
e. Applicants must have a strong commitment to the educational, military, physical and ethical development of cadets.
7. How to apply: All applications for USMA Functional Area 47 positions are submitted directly to the USMA selection committee. Interested candidates should access the USMA web site below for position details: http://www.usma.edu/g1/sitepages/staff%20position%20searches.aspx.
All applications must be received no later than 12 May 2017.
8. Expiration date of this message: 10 April 2018.
9. Point of contact for this message: firstname.lastname@example.org.